Hunt Midwest is a dynamic real estate development company with over 50 years of development, construction and management experience in a wide range of projects including industrial, commercial, mission critical, self-storage, residential, multifamily, senior living, mixed-use and SubTropolis, the world’s largest underground business complex.
Responsible for the successful operation of all functions of facilities management for SubTropolis and the Hunt Midwest Business Center in partnership and cooperation with the facilities team, the director of property management and senior manager of safety & security, and under the guidance of the director of operations.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Provide leadership and daily management of SubTropolis’ two-shift Facilities team. Responsible for leading/participating in all hiring, training, recruitment, professional development, team-building and disciplinary functions.
- Keep detailed shared digital records of facilities department meetings, projects & scheduled activities within SharePoint and other standardized systems.
- Oversee the proper documentation and reliable operation of all infrastructure, utilities, systems, equipment, vehicles and buildings within and adjacent SubTropolis.
- Engage in frequent communication and interaction with tenant managers and the Property Management Director.
- Participate in the development process of new buildings and spaces within SubTropolis.
- In cooperation with the Director of Operations and others, develop and implement facilities department payroll and non-payroll budgets, as well as the annual capital expenditure plan and overall Facilities Operations business plan. Responsible for providing daily oversight of all Facilities operations and assigned projects to ensure the financial success of SubTropolis.
- Effectively manage the operation, improvement & maintenance of the SubTropolis cold storage facility and associated refrigeration plant.
- Effectively manage the SubTropolis Facilities HVAC team, including parts, labor, repairs, planned maintenance and emergency service calls. Includes administration of planned maintenance agreements with tenants of SubTropolis and the Hunt Midwest Business Center Logistics buildings in our surface industrial park.
- Develop improved training processes and procedures for the facilities team and implement training regularly. Maintain a culture of safety where injuries for staff and guests are nonexistent.
- Develop and nurture a strong base of mutually beneficial contractor relationships. Continuously evaluate the workloads of contractors and in-house teams and adjust accordingly to balance financial and business objectives.
- Manage tenant and facility work order through our maintenance management software (Angus), ensuring fast responses to urgent items and appropriate response to other items in the order in which they are received.
- Assist in the development of regular service programs for facility equipment, machinery and utilities.
- Independently develop cost estimates and bid work on assigned SubTropolis projects.
- Explain company policies to subcontract/contract workers and enforce safety regulations to ensure all projects are completed with a high level of safety for tenants, visitors and staff of SubTropolis.
- Inspect all work in progress (both in-house and contracted work) to ensure compliance with approved plans, design, scope and budgets. Inspections to include all trades and all types of construction, facilities maintenance, grounds maintenance and other crews as work dictates.
- Analyze and resolve problems decisively, leading and/or assisting the facilities team, management and contractors in solving complex issues in a rapidly changing and demanding environment.
- Lead and/or participate in daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly meetings as required with the multiple roles constituting the SubTropolis team: Commercial Development, Facilities, Security, Property Management, Sales & Leasing, Operations.
- Working closely with the Sr. Manager of Safety & Security, assume responsibility for all SubTropolis fire protection systems: annual inspections, repairs and ongoing maintenance including main distribution piping, valves and hydrants.
- Conduct building inspections and author Building Inspection Reports as needed.
- Respond to emergencies as appropriate, during or after normal business hours.
- Duties are not limited to those listed above. Others may be assigned periodically by management.
- Oversee a two-shift team of 14 union Facilities Team members, including 2-3 leadmen.
- Repair, maintenance and construction contractors.
- A pragmatic thinker with an ability to triage, analyze, process, manage and stay organized in a fast-paced, rapidly changing and complex environment.
- Fully reliable and trustworthy – always follows through, but is patient and listens before speaking.
- Self-starter, highly motivated, and results-driven with high integrity and character.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills that include business-level courtesy and tact that is necessary to communicate with tenants, management, union staff, contractors and visitors professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to multi-task and juggle a high number of projects simultaneously, including time in the field and time in an office setting.
- Ability to safely operate a vehicle.
- Ability to lead, communicate and supervise.
- Ability to make sound decisions quickly during potentially dangerous or life-threatening situations.
- Requires a knowledge of budget preparation and cost control.
- Requires a broad knowledge of the facilities/property management industry as well as general construction/building practices.
- Requires deep knowledge of and technical skills around nearly all facility/building trades: low and medium voltage electrical including distribution gear, plumbing, fire protection, fire alarms, data/fiber, HVAC, building automation systems, housekeeping, paving, excavating, equipment and vehicle maintenance, etc.
- Knowledge of, or a willingness to learn, cold storage operations and refrigeration systems.
Years of Experience:
- Minimum of five years of experience in facilities or management is required. Large-scale or complex operational experience desired. Underground experience is a plus but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to construction, real estate, safety or similar is desired, but not required.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing situations calmly and efficiently.
Machines & Equipment Operated:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and other related software systems, particularly: Outlook, Excel, Word.
- Experience with Microsoft Teams is helpful.
- Knowledge operating standard office equipment.
- Knowledge of, or a quick ability to become familiar with, Angus Maintenance Management software.
Working Conditions & Environmental Factors:
- Occasional dark and/or dusty environment, including heat or extreme cold.
- Work in underground environment 8-10 hours per day. Outdoor environment is occasional in nature.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Qualified candidates only, please email or send resume and salary expectations to:
8300 NE Underground Drive, Suite 100
Kansas City, MO 64161